Contact MECO Electric Today
Electrical Panels in Bellevue WA
The electrical panel in your home is the core of your electric system. It’s the distribution point to the rest of the house or your commercial building. This means that if your electrical panel is not doing its job, your whole electrical system won’t work as it should.
The demand for electricity is now higher than ever because they're so many useful appliances in our homes that we can’t live without. We use microwaves, AC units, hairdryers, and blenders on a daily basis without thinking much about electricity.
However, all these appliances work only because your electrical panel works. With every new appliance you bring home you’re increasing the demand for electricity. If your electrical panel is outdated, it can’t keep up with the power demand. This is especially true for buildings that are more than 40 years old.
If your electric system experiences wear and failure, or it falls out of compliance with new codes and regulations, it’s time for an upgrade. We can help you with electrical panel installation, electrical panel repair, and electrical panel upgrades.
Sings That Your Electrical Panel Needs An Upgrade
If you want your electrical panel to keep up with the electrical demand, you should look out for these signs:
- You have a fuse panel - A fuse panel and a circuit breaker do the same thing.They protect an overloaded circuit by switching off the power and interrupting the electricity flow before the circuit blows. The only difference is that a fuse panel does that by melting a piece of metal, while a breaker has an internal switch mechanism. This melting piece of metal can cause fire hazards, so it’s best to switch to breakers.
- Indoor lights are dim and flicker - Flickering and dimming lights while a storm is in town is usually due to your utility company. However, we recommend you always check with your neighbors if they’ve experienced the same or call your utility company. If your lights flicker and dim during the day without a reason or when you plug in an appliance, it’s definitely a problem with your electrical panel.
- Breakers trip and fail daily - It’s normal for breakers to trip. However, if this is an everyday problem, you’re either having an overloaded circuit or the breaker isn’t working properly.
- The electrical panel is warm to the touch - Many people think that a warm panel is normal. It isn’t. You should always let an electrician check it to avoid any hazards.
- You hear crackling sounds - Crackling sounds in electrical panels never indicate something good. If you don’t address the problem as soon as possible, a spark can appear and cause a fire.
- Other indicators for a malfunctioning electrical panel - Corroded, old, or faulty breakers and wiring, appliances running on half-speed, discolored outlets, and burning smell from the panel.
In case you’re planning a major remodel on your home or to install something that’ll need a lot of electricity, it may be time to also upgrade your panel. We can help with electrical panel installation, electrical panel repair, and electrical panel upgrades. We also can give you advice on what the best option will be if you plan on doing a remodeling of your home.